February/March 2001 - ATHA

Front Cover Story - Kentshire Firescreen

Hooked by Sibyl Osicka, Designed by Jane Flynn

February/March 2001 - ATHA

A rose grows in infinite variations of color, form, leaf, and fragrance. Its delicate petals seem so fragile yet the flower atop the thorny stem so powerful. Always, the rose has represented much of what wc hold most dear: beauty, grace, love, and dignity.

With the cabbage rose being the Ambassador of love, and the Primrose being one of the early signs of Spring, my garden is an array of color. A bid singing his sweet song of happiness welcoming you down the path of fragrance, Kentshire Firescreen is waiting to be hooked.

The first thing I planned was the color of the bird. I looked through my reference material and found a book called "World Treasury of Birds in Color," by Cecil Madsen. In it there is a bird called the Imperial Pigeon from the Fiji and Sunda Isles, a very colorful bird, but there are two species; one has orange and yellow-green feathers with a touch of aqua; the other is raspberry, blue-yellow-green and cream. I chose the latter because the colors went well in my home.

My thoughts went to the next subject - the focal point. I chose the foreground as my focal point and began with my main color being red (S027) at the base of the row of cabbage roses. I wanted this area to be strong in intensity. The next was to consider a background. I decided to dip dye two yards of Dorr's #1212 with Barbara Sleeper's 6C. This was the first time I dip dyed two yards of fabric and the last. It was too hard to accomplish this. Using Barbara Sleeper's 6C for the background, I had to increase the amount of dry dye to 1 - 11/16 t. per each dye per yard of wool. Starting out with 16 T. of the above solution then reducing the T. down to 10 and so on. At the darkest end I dipped this area with a black solution.

I started with the primroses and decided on the swatch being S027. This is a very dark red with a touch of black added to the 8th value. This swatch was my color and from that formula all others were developed. I wanted to re-dye this swatch. but when I used a package of cardinal, it had some blue in it, so the swatch turned out to be a red burgundy. Lovely, but it cannot be repeated. Note: this was an open package of dye I bought from someone. I used this mistake on the first cabbage rose. I was able to get a lot of depth to the center of this flower and the base of the petals. This rose has great contrast between each petal to which one is on top. I continued to carry my colors through the next cabbage rose, getting weaker in dye solution as I progressed upward. In the last cabbage rose, I used two swatches, SO388 and SO412.

The cherries are very soft in intensity being farthest away from my focal point. Since there were not many, I placed some of their color in my leaves to carry my color around. I added the cherry swatch to the turn over, the center of the leaves, and at some of the tips. The way to make the progress from the value 1 of your green swatch is to pick up value 1-3 of the cherry swatch. Place it next to value one of the green swatch, and whichever one is closest, hook it. Continue hooking as far as you wish to the end.

This pattern is a fire screen, and I didn't have one on hand, so I asked my husband if he would come to my rescue and make it. As you see, he did make it, and what a wonderful job he did. I upholstered it to the frame and it stands in the comer of my dining room. This pattern is very much fun to hook, as well as play with color.

Cardinal, 1/4t. Garnet, 14t. American Beauty. SO388: color 1 1/32t. Woodrose; color 2 - 1/16t. Plum. SO28: 1/4t. peach, 1/16t. Aqualon Pink, 1/128t. Aqua.

I enclosed a chart of the pigeon. Since this is a bird of fantasy with color, I wanted you to see how I hooked it.